Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push.
I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend.
How to Remove a Scratch-
After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today:
Yes you are seeing it correctly, I had to spray the doors in place to even it out. I had to remove the handles, mask off, and spray two coats to make it work. Fortunately it did. The traces of the scratch are gone and the finish is perfect. It is even and I did not produce any sags or runs. Vertical surfaces are a challenge.
The precatalyzed lacquer that I use is very repairable. This is one of the benefits of using it. One drawback is the stink, but the weather was warm and breezy so I was able to cross ventilate the house and it aired out very quickly.
Another benefit is that it dries very quickly. This means that I was able to install the handles after a long lunch without fear of damage to the finish.
The Finished View
Here is the completed project from the front and side view.
Here is an interior view.
The clients are just ecstatic! And so am I – this means I CAN GO HOME!
I have a small item to take care of for my mom and I will pick up my UHaul trailer tomorrow. Pack. Leave Thursday late afternoon. Drive ‘till I drop. See wife and dogs soon.
Peace, Love, and Woodwoking
-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com