I started with a scrap of 1/2 MDF big enough to get both sides of the outrigger. I believe the measurements were 48” long, 16” high at the end next to the saw, and 12” high at the outer end.
This picture shows how I laid it out:
I began by ripping down a Douglas fir 2×12 into strips about 2 3/8” wide. I used this for my framing around the edges.
I left the small end open and laid the 40 X 80 mm extrusion in the center parallel to the side that was cut square. I then laid out 6 sets of bearings, 3 for each side of the extrusion. I laid the bearing out so there was one set at the top and bottom of the extrusion near the narrow end of the outrigger. I laid another set top and bottom top and bottom at the other end of the extrusion in the furthest open position. I then laid out one more set In between the other 2 sets.
I marked all of the bearing positions with a 5/16” transfer punch. I then laid front and back on top of each other so I could drill both at the same time. I then put a bolt with washer under heads for all 6 locations. I then added 2 washers
to each bolt on the inside to space the first bearings off the MDF. Then added the bearing and another washer on top of the washers. Then I cut 3/8” tubing for spacers for all 6 locations, put those in place with another washer on top the spacer. Last I added the second bearing to each location along with 2 more washers to keep the bearing from binding on the MDF. I then laid a 1” rod to the end next to the saw for the unit to swing on. I then glued and screwed the framing around the edges. I also ripped some 1” oak to 2 3/8” to frame around the rod, again gluing and screwing in place. I then had to make 2 spacers to hold the 1” rod centered. I was then able to lay the other side on top of the outrigger. I used a washer and nut at each bearing location, and screwed the MDF in place with no glue. This was done for access for maintenance.
Next I needed to make a clamp for the support end of the outrigger.
As you can see in the last picture the clamp at outer end was 2 pieces of 1/2” ply bolted with 5/16 carriage bolts slid into the T slot. I then cut a piece of 8/4 hard maple and planed to same thickness as the 40 mm thickness of the extrusion. I then drilled a hole down through the maple to hold the outrigger rod. After drilling the hole I split the piece at center line of the hole on the bandsaw. I did not cut all the way through yet leaving enough wood to act as a hinge. I slid the rod through the hole and then bolted the entire piece between the plywood supports. I the drilled 4 hole 2 in front and 2 behind the rod. I then put bolts washers and nuts in each hole and snugged them up.
I then cut off the last inch or so to cut away the wood making up the hinge. The end piece then worked like a clamp to hold the rod at the desired height.
These pictures are of it all done except for paint:
As you can see I can almost rip a sheet of plywood on the slider:
I may do one more of this series finishing it up and painting it thanks for your interest and comments.
-- Todd Swartwood (Todd Swart-Woodworks)