LumberJocks

Cherry Nightstand #9: Final Assembly

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Todd posted 06-09-2014 05:03 PM 1251 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Staining and Finishing Part 9 of Cherry Nightstand series no next part

The final assembly consisted of remounting the drawer slides, attaching the drawer front, attaching the top assembly, and installing back panel.

In a previous installment of this blog I had installed the drawer slides.

I removed them to complete the staining and finishing. After reinstalling the hardware I began the process of mounting the drawer fronts.

The drawers are standard 1/2” overlay. The top and botton rails of the face frame are 1” wide and the middle rails are 1.5” wide. To align the drawer fronts I placed a piece of masking tape along the right side of the drawer openings and measured 1/2” from the edge of the opening and marked a line. This would take care of the horizontal alignment of the drawer fronts. For vertical alignment I ripped a piece of scrap wood to 1/2” wide and placed it under the bottom drawer and aligned to the right edge line I drew previously.

I then clamped the drawer in place and drilled the knob mounting hole through the drawer box. By screwing in the knob this gave me a convenient way the stabilize the front while screwing in the mounting screws from the backside of the drawer box.

I repeated this process for the rest of the drawers.

I failed to take pics of the top assembly attachment because I was consumed with frustration at my right angle drive. It kept locking up and I had a bear of a time driving some of the screws inside the carcass because the rail mounts did not allow be to drive the screws the normal way. Anyhow, in theory the top attachment should have been simple. The below picture is from an earlier post giving some insight into the top assembly attachment.

The top assembly attachment points are the top rail of the face frame, top rails of the raised panel sides, and top support piece on the rear of the carcass. I used square drive pocket screws at all of these attachment points.

Note from my previous blog installment where I discussed the top construction that it has multiple layers. The solid top is loosely attached to the second layer to allow for expansion. This is why I could rigidly attach the top assembly to the carcass.

For the back panel I used a piece of 1/4” ply cut to size and stained. I didn’t bother putting any poly on it.

That’s it! Here is a pic of the finished product.

I have had many firsts in building this piece:

- First major cherry project
- Using a pattern and pattern bit to duplicate the skirt pattern from our original furniture
- The use of water-based dye stain rather than oil-based pigment stain
- Using HVLP sprayer for final coat application
- Using an airbrush for glazing effects

I will get some more pics tonight and follow with a posting in the LJ Projects section.

Thanks to all who have followed my blog!

-- Todd, Huntsville, AL



3 comments so far

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

3590 posts in 934 days


#1 posted 06-09-2014 10:16 PM

beautifulpiece todd,nice work.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View woodshopmike's profile

woodshopmike

178 posts in 407 days


#2 posted 06-11-2014 06:53 PM

Very nice!

-- www.woodshopmike.com, www.woodshopmikestudio.etsy.com

View csnyderdvm's profile

csnyderdvm

9 posts in 482 days


#3 posted 07-07-2014 09:33 PM

beautiful job- thanks for sharing

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase