Next I decided to make the base. Since I wanted the skirt to match the skirt on our Captain’s Chest I copied the pattern onto paper then created a 1/4” ply pattern by gluing the paper to the ply, rough cutting with the bandsaw, then carefully sanding the edges using my disc sander and oscillating sander.
I screwed the ply pattern to what would be the back of the front skirt piece and rough cut with my bandsaw. I then used a pattern bit on my router table to finish off the curves. This was a half pattern so I mirrored this procedure on the other half of the front skirt piece.
For the side skirt pieces I used the same pattern but the middle curve was not used.
The frame of the skirt was simply 4 pieces of cherry glued and pocket-screwed together with a 1/4” roundover pattern routed on the edge.
Below are pictures of the finished base:
-- Todd, Huntsville, AL