I got these drawers fitted before I closed up for the winter:
This is the first time I’ve done inset drawers, and it was a bit easier than the hell I’d imagined it to be. The weather was already pretty cold and dry when I fit these though, so I assume they’ll swell in the spring. I haven’t glued them up just in case.
I did learn something though. Having cut the dovetails on all the very close but not yet fitted parts, I was able to shave the bottoms of the drawers as well as the tops to fit them. What that meant was that the runners actually stick down below the drawer faces and preserve the gap nicely. It was a nice little trick to discover and it made the process a lot easier; I could take equal passes from top and bottom and open up equal gaps.
The entire piece is extremely straightgrained, except for these drawer faces. I thought that would be a nice choice and so far I’m pleased with how it’s turning out….
Sadly, this is my winter shop configuration:
.... which I’m forced to do because I walk to work and I just can’t leave the car outside all winter without it being driven. (The brakes rust, things fall off, etc.). So, I drive it on the weekends and store it in the shop during most days.
Anyway, with the car in there I still have access to the lathe and had planned to turn all winter. What I didn’t bank on was the water in my grinder freezing! I’ll solve that problem and focus on bowls!
-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency