Finally completed the interior. Three sliding trays and saw storage on the lid. Tray bottoms are white oak shiplapped and pine sides The drawer slips are red or white oak (whatever was available). I used cut nails for their holding power. They were a bugger to get out when I had to redo one bottom so I figure the bottoms are good for some time. The ring pulls are shutter pulls from a local blacksmith.
I had a bit of a disaster soon after filling the chest, a gutter failed and emptied into the window well in my shop. Just my luck we had almost 4 ” of rain! While the chest is on wheels and did not get wet, the dry wood soaked up a lot of moisture from the air and rusted the bottom and some sides of EVERY plane. Spent a week cleaning and lapping soles. Did I mention that the dehumidifier quit at the same time, motor ran but did not pull out any moisture.
I bought some Zerust liner material from Lee Valley and lined all the trays as well as the bottom of the saw till. I also wipe all the tools with camelia oil before putting them back.
The handles are from a disintegrating flea market tool chest I got for five bucks. Made a template to rout the handle portion and used a 71 hand router to flush mount the handle plate.
I’m still undecided on a finish for the exterior. Possibly water or alcohol based dye, or maybe a thinned milk paint.I’m just a beginner and I spent a LOT of time on the dovetails and carcass fitting so I want the joinery to show.
-- "Aged flatus, I heard that some one has already blown out your mortise." THE Surgeon ……………………………………. Kevin