So, about a month ago, my mother-in-law came to me with the idea of having me build a bed for one of her spare bedrooms. It was to have an upholstered back, so thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about that part. She and the designer she was working with wanted to incorporate some different ideas from different pictures that they were looking at. After meeting with them both, finding out exactly what they wanted, and ordering the wood, I went to work.
Overall it’s a straight forward design with simple joinery, and screw construction as it will have to be moved up a two tiered staircase with a tight ceiling clearance and multiple tight turns.
The feet of the feet end of the bed were where I started, as they seemed to be the worst to tackle. They had come up with the idea that they were to be 10” square tapered down to 8”. With this in mind, I decided to simply add a “shelf” to support the bottom rail and side rails. The trick was that not able to come up with a better alternative, I face glued 13 pieces of wood together to achieve my desired result.
Squaring the darned thing up proved to be the most challenging of all, but I managed, with a lot of careful measuring. Took the bottom rail and glued it in place.
The headboard posts were next. Simple, I glued 3 pieces each together, with the dadoes previously cut for accepting the stretcher and side rails. Then with squares, the header, and the stretcher, I assembled it.
Having done all that, it was time to fit it all together and see how I’d done. Finished all that this afternoon!
Now all that remains is to finish some securing, stain, and poly. Then move it in to it’s new home.
-- Chris, Nebraska