Shop's Log #16: Stanley No.3 Restored

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by terryR posted 11-11-2014 08:02 PM 1431 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 15: Saw Sharpening Clamp Part 16 of Shop's Log series Part 17: 3 Ply Tills »

Just a few quick photos to document a recent plane restoration…

This is a Stanley No.3 Type11…with the infamous V-logo on the cutting iron; made from 1910-1918. A lil rusty, and missing a small amount of wood, but in great shape otherwise.

As soon as I took off the knob, the small chunk you see fell off…along with another piece. And the tote had an obvious repair needed to the beaver tail…unfortunately it involved the hole for the hardware, and I wasn’t sure I could pull this off.

I used chisel and knife to create a flat spot on the knob, and added a small cut-off from the previous day’s turning. Easy. Trying to match the grain on the tote was another matter…

There you see my added rosewood…in hindsight I can tell the East Indian Rosewood I added is a different species than the original wood, but it sure looked good in these photos! LOL.

I used the 12” disc sander to remove the bulk of the extra mass on the knob, then placed it on the lathe for a gentle shaping. Worked much easier than I had expected!

For the tote, I chucked it up on the lathe using only 2 jaws of a 4-jaw chuck…the same way I held pipes just a few blogs ago. Hmmm…that was practice for more than just pipes!

Boring the through hole from the base was pretty straight-forward…good thing I had a long 3/16” bit on hand! The counterbore needed to seat the brass hardware into the tote was a bit more tricky…

I used the lathe and same chucking system as before, but this set-up required more fiddling to get correct. I wish I could video a tote spinning around the axis of the hardware holes, it’s a trip! Needless to say…be careful if you try this at home and watch those knuckles!

Typical of my luck lately…as soon as I took the plane parts out of the EvapoRust solution, some of the paint started to scrub off. Crap! Gotta re-paint ANOTHER one. I had hoped to own a small sand blasting unit by this point in my life…but that will have to wait. So, break out the stinky paint remover…

The new paint went on without excitement, and soon I was enjoying my favorite part; removing the colorful tape! LOL. Don’t ask me why, but I feel like a kid again when it reaches this point.

Time to get serious. The back of the original iron was pitted pretty badly, and I hadn’t even noticed it before now. Bollocks! Seems like I just went through this battle…

Luckily, the 120 grit DMT, and some elbow grease broke through the pitting, and gave a nicely polished back…

It looks a LOT better in person than the iPad photo! I also worked the ‘breaker flat. No good to have a sharp iron if the ‘breaker jams with debris!

With all the parts re-vamped, it was time for assembly, and shavings! Here you can see my tote repair isn’t worthy of copying, but not bad for my first try! Too bad the species of wood is wrong. LOL.

And, time for the after photos…a previous owner has stamped BOTH sides of the tote with ‘11’ and the knob with ‘21’. Looks like most of that stayed with my restore. Cool. This plane is twice my age…I don’t want to make it look brand new.

I’m sure a lil patina will return after a few months in my shop due to the humidity, and my lack of wiping down planes.

I kinda like the way the tote came out…different! Too bad it’s on a valuable Type11.

And, a few full-width shavings…

But, this one’s NOT going anywhere for a while…

A few more 3’s perhaps?

Comments and suggestions are always welcomed!

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

6 comments so far

View ToddJB's profile


6772 posts in 1548 days

#1 posted 11-11-2014 08:14 PM

Looks great, Terry. Crazy that those woods look so similar without finish and so different with. I kinda like it too. And the execution of the repair is fantastic.

-- I came - I sawed - I over-built

View Don W's profile

Don W

17870 posts in 1986 days

#2 posted 11-11-2014 08:16 PM

Looks great Terry. I’ve pulled a type 10 out of the pile. Now to find some time.

This was the extent of my woodworking today:

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

View CFrye's profile


8561 posts in 1258 days

#3 posted 11-11-2014 08:17 PM

Nice save, Terry! The different tote/knob wood species celebrates the repairs and return to user status (how’s that sound?)! And of even more importance, how does the repair finish feel to the touch?

-- God bless, Candy

View AnthonyReed's profile


8569 posts in 1858 days

#4 posted 11-11-2014 08:57 PM

Wonderfully done Terry. I agree with Candy, the repairs are a testament to the tools journey, the owner’s skill and his desire to put it back in service.

Awesome blog, thanks.

-- ~Tony

View terryR's profile


6229 posts in 1726 days

#5 posted 11-11-2014 11:36 PM

Thanks, you guys, the tote feels great in the hand, and the look will probably age nicely?

Candy, i hate to admit it, but these 3’s aren’t really going into user service. They will probably go in their own till on the wall…collectors! Honestly, I cannot fit my ten thumbs on a plane this small. 4’s are about as small as I can use…may as well grab a block plane for the size! LOL!

Don, looks like important wood! Bet it’s already cold way up North!

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View ratchet's profile


1389 posts in 3205 days

#6 posted 11-13-2014 02:30 PM

That is an awesome save. You are to be commended. I totally favor seeing the stable of planes.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics