LumberJocks

Morris Chairs

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave T updated 1586 days ago 9 parts 7386 reads 32 comments total

Part 1: Lumber purchased

1824 days ago by Dave T | 5 comments »

We’re changing an unused portion of our finished basement into a reading and TV area. The room is almost ready, the nightstand is out of my shop so now it’s time for furniture for this new space. Our personal tastes lead more toward Arts and Crafts, so a natural choice for seating are Morris chairs. I’ve been wanting to build one for awhile and have several plans from magazines and books. All are the same base design of course, but slight variations. I haven’t dec...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Rough cuts and leg glue ups

1820 days ago by Dave T | 2 comments »

I decided to go with the chair in Woodsmith Oct/Nov 2004. Not too much exciting yesterday. All of the parts were rough cut and I started glueing up the leg blanks. I have 6 blanks glued and 2 more to go. Here’s the rough pile for the legs Glue up And finally a stack of parts, this is where I left the shop yesterday. On deck for today. Finiish the leg glues ups. Mill the veneer to hid the glue line on the legs, finish rough milling. We’ll see from there. Than...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Leg veneers and jointing

1820 days ago by Dave T | 5 comments »

Didn’t get as far as I wanted to today, but here is what I got done. First glued up the last 2 leg blanks. Jointed and squared up the 6 I glued up yesterday. Ended up with a nice pile of planer shavings that filled the dust collector. Now off to the veneers. Ok, I haven’t resawed anything really thin before and it’s been a while since I’ve used the band saw. Actually I haven’t used it since I bought the Kreg fence at Christmas, so need to do a little tu...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Side pieces cut to size

1816 days ago by Dave T | 7 comments »

I didn’t get as much shop time as I would have liked to over the last couple of days, and the time I did spend I had to fix a couple of leg veneer whoopsies. Somehow through the repition of glueing the veneers on the 8 leg blanks, and all the pieces laying around I got myself confused on 2 of the leg blanks and glued the veneers on the wrong faces…DOH. Oh well plane cut them back down to the right size and cut new veneers and reglue. Problem # 1 solved. Trimmed up the veneers ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Little steps.....

1815 days ago by Dave T | 2 comments »

A little shop time is better than none. Here are a couple of pics of where I left off yesterday.One of the veneer issues (the knot looked nice and tight and I thought it would be ok, so much for thinking). And the stack of parts for the sides of both chairsSpindle final size (as mentioned I cut 74 of these little suckers 5/8 square by 12 3/8”) On deck for today. Finish fixing veneers on the legs. One more piece to glue YAY. On to the next step. According to plan in Woodsmith,...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Update for the last few days

1811 days ago by Dave T | 1 comment »

Since my last post I’ve gotten a couple of maintenance tasks accomplished. A crude, but temporarily functional router table was tuned up (made sure flat and insert plate was level) and sharpened a couple of my chisels. Thursday, I got the router table clamped to the table saw and flush trimmed the leg veneers. Here’s my temporary router table. Eventually I am going to build Norm’s router table, but in the meantime…Next I cut all the front leg blanks to final size.N...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Standing frames

1788 days ago by Dave T | 3 comments »

I’ve been slack in documenting my progress. Sorry to all of those following this. But after much drudgery cutting the side slats and the related tenons 68 in all and some assembly difficulties we have standing frames. I’ll get some pictures of the frames and latest progress tomorrow. Tonight I started milling up my last oak boards for the arms and the back.

Read this entry »


Part 8: Latest update

1781 days ago by Dave T | 6 comments »

Where I left last time was promising pictures of the free standing frames. Here we’re actually starting to look like chairs. Not just a pile of sticks. I think the worst part was getting all the spindles in their respective holes and getting everything to stay put while I put the clamps on. I most certainly need more clamps. Long story short we made it through and measurable progress. Yesterday (Sunday) I worked on the arms. I have decided partly due to the lack of time and mo...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Getting ready to upholster (finally)

1586 days ago by Dave T | 1 comment »

The wood working part of this has been done for awhile. I’ve finally got moving on the upholstery. Had a couple of local shops come out and look at the chairs to do the cushions. Lots of nice comments, but high estimates on the cost of cushions. One was close to $500 per chair, ouch. Needless to say it was put on the back burner for awhile. After a few weeks of walking by the chairs every day I thought I would check back with Woodsmith where I got the plans to see how they did the...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase