LumberJocks

Morris Chairs #5: Little steps.....

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave T posted 1807 days ago 681 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Side pieces cut to size Part 5 of Morris Chairs series Part 6: Update for the last few days »

A little shop time is better than none. Here are a couple of pics of where I left off yesterday.
One of the veneer issues (the knot looked nice and tight and I thought it would be ok, so much for thinking).
Photobucket

And the stack of parts for the sides of both chairs
Photobucket
Spindle final size (as mentioned I cut 74 of these little suckers 5/8 square by 12 3/8”)
Photobucket

On deck for today. Finish fixing veneers on the legs. One more piece to glue YAY. On to the next step. According to plan in Woodsmith, instead of making 136 1/4 X 1/4 mortises (34 per side for the 17 spindles) they cheated and cut a 1/2”X1/4” groove in the center of the rail pieces and then stuck a filler strip in the groove with 1/4” notches cut evenly spaced. Looks like I need to make a jig. Take a piece of flat scrap and screw it to the miter gauge. Before I get too far along I might as well cut the end notches first since I know their dimensions, so I set up a stop block on the one end of the newly attached miter fence.
Photobucket
And make a test cut. Here’s a closer few
Photobucket
Ready to continue, calls for 1” between the shoulders of the notches. So I mark 1 inch over from the existing cut in my fence and line it all up. Before going further I dig through the trash can for a little piece of cut off to fit the first notch to use as a key. Once I got the cut off trimmed down a little to fit the notch in my fence I glued it in place in the notch and made another test cut.
Photobucket
And the end result
Photobucket

Next session, hopefully I’ll get the legs trimmed up to final size and start on the mortises. Maybe need to work on my chisels a little before I get that far though, they are all pretty dull. I received Rockler’s scary sharp beginner’s kit a few weeks ago. Came with several grits of adhesive backed wet/dry sandpaper, piece of glass and a honing guide. I tried it out on a junk chisel and got some pretty good results thanks to the honing guide. I don’t have a good set of bench chisels yet, just a few of Sears’ better ones, but they’ll be 100% better when I get a good edge on them.

Thanks for reading.



2 comments so far

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

8768 posts in 2725 days


#1 posted 1807 days ago

I look forward to seeing this one come together.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

1190 posts in 2184 days


#2 posted 1807 days ago

Yeah, that’s the same mortising system I used on my bed. It works great. Just make sure that when fully seated, the filler strip doesn’t protrude over the top of the stretcher. If it does, you’ll have to joint it flush. Pre-glue the filler strip in place prior to the side assembly. Also, make sure they’re mirror images top and bottom so the spindles are vertical.

The most difficult thing about all those spindles is getting them all to fit during the glue up. I did a couple of dry fits just to get the system down prior to adding glue. Also make sure to glue the spindles in place. Mine are loose and rattle if you run your hand along them. Sanding all of the spindles almost gave me carpal tunnel syndrome. Good luck. Loving your blog!

P.S. You’ve basically made a box joint jig. The same process allows you to make drawers, boxes, etc.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase