So i finally got some work done today on my box. first i started by making the bottom. because i am using thick material for the sides i wanted to add some rigidness to the box so it is a 1/2” thick poplar bottom and i did the bevel with a hand plane. rather than set up machinery or anything.
then it was time to focus on the dividers. these are hard because they are very thin stock and to get them good they have to fit right. so what i did was cut them and did almost what resembles a half lap joint just using my table saw. it takes a lot of setup to get everything right but the result is worth it. here is a picture of the first joint done.
now i know what at this moment you are probably all thinking. expansion and contraction isn’t going to be nice to those pieces. so here’s my solution.
i just cut the slots longer than they needed to be and since the joint fits the hole to allow for expansion and contraction will not be exposed. i have not finished all the dividers but i figured I’d give a quick update. i am also going to route and chisel out a hollow in the lid to allow the dividers to expand and contract without causing any problems with closing the lid. so next time will probably be finish and i will show the bottom of the box finished. not much going on with the lid. attaching the hinges in such thin stock it really the only other cool thing after the finish. so i hope that everyone likes it and hope that everyone has a nice rest of the week.