So here is the entry of my pull out trash can box thing where i show the finish. due to prefinishing i have already done most of the finishing and put some parts together so i figured i would show that now. and then next week i will probably have the finished project up. so to start of course i sanded the piece to 180. i would not recommend using sycamore with hand tools. it doesn’t work well at all, and its hard to tell which way the grain is running. dovetails are really hard with sycamore. then i sprayed the whole piece yellow to create an even backround.
then i sprayed all the pieces with 2 coats of dark wine cherry dye.
and for my topcoat i sprayed on 5 coats of shellac followed by 2 coats of gel poly. you have to use gel poly here because it is made to sit on the surface so scuff up the shellac to create something for it to stick to and put it on. you can’t use regular poly because it is made to soak into the wood and that can’t happen because the shellac is down. the shellac though protects the dyes from being disturbed when you rub on the gel poly.
then i put what was prefinished together. and installed the drawer using little fillers because i messed up on the dovetails and had to recut them but thats a story for another time.
so thats what i have for now. i still need to put on the drawer front and the pullout door. so that should be done by next week. i also still have one coat of gel poly to do. just to tie everything together like the different intersections. so the ploy does look a little rough right now but thats because i still have one more coat to do. hope everyone liked it, and i hope everyone has a nice day.