Commisions #3: Mirror Frame #3

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by teenagewoodworker posted 05-27-2008 01:41 AM 1197 reads 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Mirror Frame #2 Part 3 of Commisions series Part 4: Mirror Frame #4 »

Well over the last two days i have been able to really get some good solid work done on my mirror frames. first i was able to mill all the lumber to final width.

then it was time to cut the piece. i don’t have a long miter bed with a stop block so i used double stick tape to hold the rough identical pieces together to give me exactly the same piece. the first picture is putting the tape on and the second is all the piece cut to final length.

Then i cut the groove in the first picture, the finished tongue in the second picture, and glued it up.

after it was done drying i router a rabbit in the back to house the mirror, you can’t really see it in the first picture but i made a mistake and went a little too far with the router. the second picture is after i made the repair.

the repair was in the back so it wasn’t much cosmetic it was because i wanted to have a structurally sound joint so i needed to put the wood back in there. so thats all for today. I should have the woodworking finished tomorrow and the finishing done by the end of the week. thanks for reading and all comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

9 comments so far

View dlcarver's profile


270 posts in 3731 days

#1 posted 05-27-2008 02:23 AM

you really know your stuff Dennis, good job.
Thanks Dave

-- Dave Leitem,Butler,Pa.,

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27250 posts in 3822 days

#2 posted 05-27-2008 02:36 AM

This is looking pretty good, Dennis.

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

View teenagewoodworker's profile


2727 posts in 3769 days

#3 posted 05-27-2008 02:41 AM

thanks everyone. I just realized like 5 minutes ago that i forgot to put the chamfer on the edges. well i guess that I’ll just have to go and get a v-groove bit to do it.

View jockmike2's profile


10635 posts in 4247 days

#4 posted 05-27-2008 03:00 AM

Nice job. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View lew's profile


12062 posts in 3756 days

#5 posted 05-27-2008 03:14 AM

Great work, Dennis


-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Betsy's profile


3391 posts in 3896 days

#6 posted 05-27-2008 05:25 AM

that’s all called design variations!

-- "Our past judges our present." JFK - 1962; American Heritage Magazine

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 3673 days

#7 posted 05-27-2008 01:12 PM

Very nice start.

View SPalm's profile


5320 posts in 3882 days

#8 posted 05-27-2008 03:15 PM

Nice. Good repair. We all learn something with each new project.

About the chamfer, it you want to put a bevel on the outside edge, maybe best to get a chamfer bit. A chamfer bit has a bearing on the bottom, a V-groove does not and will require a fence. Either will do it, but the bearing is easier.


-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View teenagewoodworker's profile


2727 posts in 3769 days

#9 posted 05-27-2008 09:10 PM

steve, i have a chamfer bit the only problem is the intersection of the tongue and groove, there needs to be a chamfer there to so i need the v-groove bit to do that.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics