well i got a bit done over the past few weeks.
first i did some work on the bird cage. the bird cage is not hard but at the same time not easy. I started by milling my pieces. both are left oversized. one is left very oversized because i have to cut off the piece for the pivot point. the other is just and 1/8” oversized so i can trim to final dimensions when I’m done with the larger one. so first what i did was cut off the little piece for the pivot point.
then after that was done i cut the pieces to final size and drilled the holes. to do this i made a jig to make sure that my holes were centered.
after the holes were drilled i turned the piece for the pivot points. i turned 5/8” by 1/2” tenons. 5/8” being the diameter. This was accomplished by using my lathe with my chuck in one end and regular tailstock on the other. i used some pieces of Mdf to give me the offset and also to protect the workpiece. its hard to explain and i wish i had more pictures but i hope you guys got this down.
After that i turned the little pieces for the birdcage. it took me about 6 tries as they are small but it really paid off. i then drilled the holes about 7/8” from the edge on center and ran the detail on the edge. MAKE SURE YOU DONT RUN IT WHERE YOUR LOCK WILL GO… i did this the first time… haha
and then it happened
here i am now…
so its all cleanup from here. I just got to a point where i had to get ready for the show and i just did work… well so much for a comprehensive blog… haha :)
all i have now is to clean up the top. i started to shape the feet as a demo for the show. i did have one little slip in the top but I’m gonna show you guys a really cool way to clean that up.
hopefully i’ll have more done by the end of this week!!