didn’t get as much done as i wanted to today. looks like Eli might be taking the lead on his table… haha
alright. today i did some work on the feet. for the feet i am going to be going with pad feet. Right now i have extra material at the bottom just to leave myself room to work with on the feet. so here we go. i started off by cutting out my feet with all of the angles and everything. getting the angles was as simple as setting my piece of wood over the drawing in the position i wanted it. then i used another piece of wood to act as a fence for my protractor. this was positioned on the bottom of the piece of wood that will become my leg so i could maintain that reference line as well and see my drawing to set my protractor too. hopefully that makes sense. its hard to explain without pictures of which i have none
then as it shows above i just simply ran my dovetails on the end of the feet. being very careful to make sure that they fit nicely. After this i cut out my foot to rough shape and this is where the trouble started.
as you can see my foot is behind the shoulder of the pedestal when i want it to be in front of it so that i can shape it to match later. now to go about fixing this first i needed to fix my foots relation to the shoulder. to do this since my foot is curved i just cut the straight point at the top down about 1/4” so that i was in front of the shoulder. but then my problem was that the bottom of the leg was no longer flush.
so to fix this i had to add another little block of wood onto the bottom. this piece isn’t a focal point or anything so people probably wont focus on it. but nevertheless i still made sure that i matched up the grain and the color of the wood as well as i possibly could. the patch is also made out of one of the cutoffs from that specific leg. once the glue was dry i just flushed up the piece to the end with my sander. and then re-ran the dovetail until it was close and finished it up by paring with a chisel since the dovetail already fit. so with the joint all cleaned up and the finish on no one should ever be able to tell the difference
alright so thats all i got done today. tomorrow i plan on doing the birdcage and hopefully starting to dish out the top. then monday i will finish whatever part of the feet and the top i don’t get done tomorrow as well as get ready for finish.