My Dad acquired a beat-up coffin smoother a long time ago. Either he abused it or got it from someone who had. At some point he decided it wasn’t worth much, stuck it in a cubbyhole in his basement, and there is sat for several decades. I came along this past summer and figured I would try to make it useful again. I posted the following picture here before. This gives you a ‘Beginning’ picture of the project I’m taking on.
I needed to seal up the blown out fractures in the cheeks. I used Original Formula Titebond (I) and compressed the fractures between calls as tight as I could get the clamp to go.
It occurred to me that by not placing wax paper between the calls and body, the glue might bond itself to the calls as well. About 6 hours later I removed the clamp and calls. Not bad.
The left side call did stick a little, but no real damage to worry about. And the glue appears to be holding. Tomorrow I will sand the sides and top, see whether to reinforce the fractures with epoxy (to fill in and allow smoothing over) or leave as is.
After I get the outside of the body cleaned up I will work on the iron and cap iron. I need to see how the wedge fits, whether it will hold tight within what is left of the shoulders. If not, I have some ideas on how to either repair or replace them.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Upstate NY USA