In my previous blog post I gave a tour of The Dungeon Workshop. Near the end was a picture of what I call the South Room (SR). From the picture you can see it has been a catch-all for what I don’t know what to do with. I vowed this year the crap would go, the tools would get sorted and put away, and raw materials placed where I could draw from when needed. Accumulation of tools, equipment and supplies have only added to the mess I started with. I need the space. I needed to be able to find my stuff!
Earlier this week I cleaned out the SR, which of course meant I littered the rest of the shop. The following pictures define what I am working with, panning from right to left:
Construction grade plywood isn’t cheap in my neck of the woods. It’s also crappy stuff, having many voids between layers and on the surface. It’s also impossible for me to get a 4’x8’ sheet down into the dungeon. I needed 64” to span the width of the wall. What I had plenty of were used 3/4” pine boards, reclaimed lumber.
This summer I helped out with my Dad’s Estate sale. I built two tables out of pallets and reclaimed lumber for displaying goods indoors. I also made a top that would rest on two sawhorse to be used outdoors under cover. Back then I built these with bringing them back to the shop afterward in mind. This is the larger of the two, to be put up against the newly made wall. At this point, I have added two opposing sides braces running the widest area and adjustable feet I have kept from an old steel office desk I sold to the autocrusher.
I removed angle braces on what would become the front of the bench and added a shelf below. I thought it was an interesting coincidence that I could just fit in the required number of two-bys and have just enough space left over for a 1/2” board on edge at each end. The bench’s dimension fit well against the wall space.
Here is the smaller bench, with the same leg bracing and bottom shelf construction of the larger bench. At this point I haven’t screwed down the shelf boards. Once again, the two-bys fit snuggly within the dimensions provided by the earlier construction. I couldn’t have planned this better. The Wood Goddess must have been guiding me in my ‘ad hoc’ construction. ;)
After the shelf is screwed down, I will be making a couple of drawers for it. More pictures later.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Upstate NY USA