This year I decided I had had enough of ‘beeing buzzed’ by female carpenter bees. I have made two traps so far.
The first one shown here I hung near the discard wood pile, having noticed a lot of activity in that area this spring. It will have to be relocated once the wood pile is gone, as the trailer will be parked in the spot behind it. The design was found on Instructables. On the backside (not visible in the photo) is another slanted entrance hole located in the top third area of the face. I used Loctite Pro Construction adhesive on this. Messy stuff.
The second one I finished making just a little while ago. It has been mounted high up against the outside back porch wall. The bees circle the house over and over again, so hopefully this will entice them to be curious enough to be trapped. I decided to use an empty Miracle Whip plastic jar and lid on this one. Any future ones I make will use the plastic containers—easier to handle, larger than the small Mason canning jars I have, and they don’t cost me anything. Titebond III was used in the construction with silicone caulk used to seal the plastic lid to the bottom.
Left and ride sides of the unit have the entrance holes. Back side has a narrow mounting board that is screwed to the porch.
Supposedly I should expect my first capture in about a week. I’ll see how these do before considering a third unit. If only there was a carpenter bee’s equivalent to catnip. Hurry up there, little doggies. I’ve got things to do outside.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA