In the prequel to this episode (Blog Entry #51: Raiders of the Lost Dungeon Workshop—cont’d), I pointed out a small (useless) room that was taking up valuable space in the dungeon. Either I tear it down and make that space useful, refurbish the room and use it, or work around it. I chose the last. If I had torn down the room I would have had no wall space to work with—the inside wall was the house’s field stone foundation. Using the room would mean taking down a most dusty, moldy (collapsing) papered ceiling—uh, no. I opted to neglect the room space and use the wood wall instead.
The following two pictures show what I started with:
The door was removed and a hood frame was build separately then attached at the height of the new bench. Here I have the miter saw resting on a board to check for clearances:
The main infrastructure of the bench is made of two-by-fours, most of which came from destructed pallets and crates. Additional top cross supports were added on the end bench where the widest part began the curve toward the end, and at the left side of the main bench, where I would run out of plywood:
Once the hood was covered in old shower curtain plastic, I stapled in overlapping skirting at the bottom of the hood to funnel the dust into a receptacle. Here you can only see the back piece of the funnel:
The hood is complete, the old door has been cut down to allow access to the large soot can that will collect the saw dust, and a simple rotating latch keeps it closed. The opening above the hood, as well as the opening left by the removed window, was covered up with similar thickness pallet wood:
A coat of Zinsser Bin Primer was applied to the wall above the bench in preparation for a coat of white enamel. I wanted a surface that would brighten the space and be easier to keep clean:
One coat of white outdoor enamel was applied over the primer. The 3/4” pine plywood was cut by the box store into three rectangular sections, two of which were used here. The leftover is as long as the piece that will sit under the miter saw, and an inch narrower:
Next was the under bench shelving:
I found a section of hardwood veneered plywood that was just large enough to cut to size for the left side of the main bench. Back splashes were put up to keep small parts and saw dust from falling between the wall and bench top:
I ripped a 1/4” strip off of a two-by-two to see how it would look as edging. Since the top is pine and this isn’t going to be an area that will be used for assembling or pounding, I think pine will be fine for the edging. The large table centered on the backside of the Hitachi table saw will be adequate for building and assembly work.
Originally I was going to finish the top with shellac and then paste wax. The proximity of the bench to the gas fired water heater had me thinking the alcohol-based shellac might be a hazard. I opted to go with a water-based high-traffic, fast-drying poly instead. Before I can do that, I need to cut down the pegboard that used to be against the stone wall on the right, so that its length runs across the length of the wall instead of from joist to floor. And after that…outlets!
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA