A week has gone by since my previous post. In that time I have made some progress. Several days ago I figured out a way to get it into the dungeon. A couple of days ago I added back the steel base stand, moved the retractable casters to their correct location on the legs—the previous owner really didn’t know what he was doing in assembling and running this saw—and managed to gently tip it off the hydraulic table and onto its side, then lift it onto its legs…all by myself. No Paul Bucalos were injured in the resurrecting of this saw!
Then last night I got to work on the cast iron top. Unfortunately, there has been some pitting. Fortunately, it shouldn’t affect the operation of the saw.
The dark spots are the pitted, stained areas. Not deep. I probably could work them out with some polishing. I’m more concerned with wearing dips into the top. So far I have worked it with 120 grit emery cloth wrapped and tacked to a wood block, coarse steel wool, and Scotchbrite. All of this done with PB Blaster rust remover as the cleaning agent. The top feels very smooth to the touch. Later today I will work with finer grits of wet/dry sanding sheets against a block. Maybe that will do it.
In the assembling of the stand to the base, I found one of the retractable casters was missing two of the three bolts that mounted it to the leg: a trip to the box store for them. I was surprised to see the casters mounted on the wrong face of each legs. They were 90 degrees off, so that the casters protruded from front and back instead of on the left and right sides.
It’s obvious to me the previous owner of the saw hadn’t assembled the saw well and wasn’t up on setting it up correctly. The time I am taking now to assembled and adjust would offset all of that. So far, nothing is broken and nothing critical is missing. Whether the top is aligned with the blade…that has yet to be seen.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA