Last week I picked up a decent deal on a table saw that will be a marked improvement over the one I have in the dungeon workshop right now. It’s a Hitachi C10FL that a widow’s husband bought back in 2009. For those not familiar with the make and model, here is a manufacturer’s marketing image of the machine:
The chassis and legs on my acquisition look almost like brand new. The cast iron top is in need of some TLC and the accessory rails need a good cleaning. When I fired it up at the widow’s garage, in the first split second it spun up with hardly a whisper, then made a wobbly-droning sound. At the time, I thought it was the impacted sawdust I could see from the opening of the dust collection port. Sawdust had caked over every surface within the chassis. The widow verified that she didn’t think her late husband ever hooked up a shop vac to the port. She wasn’t sure if he had a shop vac. I’m guessing: no. We were able to use an old house vac to get most of the sawdust out. Looked like band new in there. She said he hardly used it—never finished the deck he bought it for.
Her advertised price was $200 USD. She was comfortable with accepting $175.00 due to the noise problem. It took three of us to lift the saw sans legs onto the back of the truck. Because of the angle of their driveway, the tailgate was above my waist. I’m thankful I had the help to keep my back from spasming over lifting so much weight to that height.
Once home, the wife and I went South (with the Blazer) to a Harbor Freight store to pickup a hydraulic table lift. Only one left, and with the store sale and 20% off coupon, I got it for half the normal price. The only problem—and I anticipated this would happen—is that the small casters won’t glide over the crusher run driveway surface. I have to think of some way to get it to the back entrance. But that’s a later-on First World problem for now.
So what does it look like? Right now, in pieces, uncleaned:
Here’s one that shows the condition of the cast iron top. It looks worse than it is. As far as I could tell, no pitting. It should clean up well:
So you ask, what’s taking so long for me to get it together and into the dungeon? Parts. Remember earlier I mentioned the wobbly sound after startup? When I inspected the underside of the chassis I found that the pulley on the motor shaft was able to slide around on the shaft. The set screw for the pulley is missing. Fortunately, eReplacementparts.com has them in stock for a little over a buck a piece. While I was ordering, I decided to pick up two rubber feet that were missing from the stand and the outer safety switch paddle, which was also missing. A total of ten bucks. The package will arrive late today or tomorrow morning.
Now for the ‘it’s complicated’ part. As well having to figure out how to get the hydraulic cart with 260 pounds of table saw across a basically dirt and rock driveway, I have to devise a set of ramps, and a safe means of lowering said cart, down the stone steps into the dungeon. I have ideas that should work for the steps. But you know how it is: everything is ‘complicated’ when the dungeon is involved.
I’ll post follow-up picks when the saw is installed. Or maybe when the ramps are in. Or maybe the crash once we let it loose down the ramps. ;)
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA