If you have been following my previous blog posts, you will recall that in creating an efficient and safe workshop in the dungeon, I’ve had to shift benches and equipment around as areas became ready. I’m at that point where I need to access the South side of the dungeon, and to do that I need to get the heavy thickness planer off its high perch and onto a portable base so I can use it/move it as needed. To that end, I just completed a simple, very sturdy rolling base and now have the planer on it. Hooray! I didn’t lock up my back in moving the planer!
Having the Windsor bench in the middle of the floor has worked out nicely, as this project as proven. The framing started off as reclaimed 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” boards found out back of my neighborhood box store. The outside dimensions are 16” wide by 26” long. This gives extra room around the planer and added some stability. Here you see the dry fit.
Last year I picked up a pocket-hole screw jig at Harbor Freight. It occurred to me that I haven’t tried this kind of joinery and decided this would be good for the inner braces, because of where they are located. I found this easy to use and worked fine; a good value considering how much less it cost me over that of a Kreg.
I started out with mounting an inner side rail into the vise and using a clamp to keep the center brace in place. It worked out well, however….
...I made the mistake of completing the inner framing using the vise instead of the relatively flat/level bench top. The frame ended up a little warped. Nothing that hurt the overall performance, just something I knew better not to do and could have avoided.
Three inch casters and trailing wheels have massive bases. To give four-point contact with the base I used 2×4s across both ends.
I did a little hand planing on the top edges to get rid of unevenness and high spots. I was undecided on whether to add a solid surface to the top of the framing, what material to use if I did (plywood, chip board, planks). In the end I decided not to worry about it.
By balancing the thickness planer on one of the two sawhorses and pushing aside the other, I was able to let gravity help in ‘sliding’ it off and onto the waiting base. The back was saved. Unfortunately, the toes of my left foot were clobbered by the hardwood board that was under the planer on the sawhorses. No blood—just sore toes. Figures.
For now, getting the planer out of the way is all I can worry about. Later on, I plan on adding levelers, since finding a spot on the floor that will meet all four wheels is going to be rare, anyway.