It was never my intent to make this build into an attractive build. Functional is the priority. It is the only reason for going through all this work for a $10.00 item. But it’s not unusual for my build ideas to become runaway trains, sometimes with no way to stop safely (enter the music of Jethro Tull’s Locomotive Breath.) My intent was to make this a 100% free pallet wood build. I have brand new pine boards and studs I could have used. With a change in design—swinging sensor box to one stationary—I needed to come up with a different mount option without scrapping the wall bracket I made. The brass colored hand rail bracket was all that I could find at our local Lowe’s. Now, I am glad I went with it. The sensor box can be pivoted to change the angle in relation to the sun and weather. Serendipitous.
The glass drawer knob I used to hide the hole that was to accept a screw eye and chain was not to my liking. It was gaudy. I was concerned that the glass will act as a prism and concentrate heat fom the sun’s rays into the top of the box. The metal base is one more thing to possible rust or corrode. And I realized I forgot to add vent holes in the top, as I had originally planned. The solution was a squared section of hemlock with slots cut from it, eventually all leading to the hole in the top of the box. I hope the slots, only the width of a table saw blade kerf, won’t attract insects to infiltrate for rest or nest. It looks better.
I like that a gallon of Titebond III is full of itself. I couldn’t find anything heavier that wouldn’t crush the project:
The new look. Better, right? Functional, I think:
Time to begin painting. Because I mistakenly (as in, so deep in the forest I no longer saw the trees) missed the fact that I used the wrong glue (The Original Formula Titebond) for the construction of the sensor box, I’m hoping that a couple of coats of latex bin primer will protect the glue joints from moisture. The rest of the construction, including the top vent cap and side reinforcement for the metal bracket, were glued up with the Titebond III. Here is the inside of the box with its first coat of primer:
The quart can in the background is the semi-gloss outdoor enamel I bought yesterday to use for the final painted wood finish.
The wall bracket and sensor box have a complete coat of primer. The wooden knob and bottom vent cover are only primed on the side you can see. The sensor pin needs to have the handle primed, as well. Later on I will mount the metal bracket to a scrap board I can clamp to the table, then I will take a wire wheel to it to bring it down to either bare metal or a dull matte finish. I still have gloss white spray enamel and spray poly from the bathroom project a couple of years ago. I will use both on the bracket.
The next blog entry will be the finale…I hope.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Upstate NY USA