I decided to rough sketch the fruit and veggie bin I plan on making for a corner of the kitchen. Currently we are using a two-bin round steel thingie that works, but is too small for our needs. This will be about twice the height and wider than the steel unit in place. Exact dimensions will be determined when I get around to drafting up plans.
I have plenty of pallet wood and reclaimed lumber to make this with. The only change to the drawing I may still make is to replace the bottom bin slates with pegboard that slides into routed grooves in the side boards. From time to time fruit and veggies will rot at the bottom of the pile. If a bottom gets bad enough I would like to be able to easily replace them.
The wife likes the idea of the whole unit finished in the Danish oil that I used on the glass and wine rack I recently posted. I prefer painting with a gloss enamel to make cleaning easier and to speed up project time. Currently, the temperature in the dungeon workshop is to cold for a poly finish and I don’t know if I can properly vent the fumes.