(I posted the early build of this under Projects, several days ago.)
Yesterday I finished the construction. To keep the top glasses from falling off the shelf on their own I added three 3” lengths of dowel cut to a 5 degree back slant. The space between the closest distance between the dowels and the shelf is adequate to make it impossible for the glasses to fall off the shelf without making it difficult to get the glasses off. In the production runs holes will be drilled at 5 degrees offset and the dowels will be inserted and cut flush at the bottoms. As mentioned before, I would like to keep the bottle end within the dimensions of the rack. The production units will have a smaller, shallower angled bottle holder and most likely I will vertically hang the cork remover on the right side in the available space.
I was going to wait until I had the Kona finish applied before posting. The temperature in the dungeon has been a chilly 52 F, these past two days, with a much colder floor temperature. I now have a cold and lot less tolerance for the dungeon’s lack of warmth. I’m not sure the stain will dry well—recommended minimum application temperature is 60 F—that won’t happen until summer. Since this is a prototype and won’t be sold or given away, an attempt will be made to stain it, probably tomorrow, but I think I am going to need to cordon off some space in the dungeon that I can heat for finishing work.
The attachment mechanism is a French cleat at the top, with a matching width spacer at the bottom.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA