A couple of days ago I started on a wall-mounted lumber rack in the dungeon. At that time I had barely enough room to get around the Black and Decker Power Mate and various stuff laying around, including the destructed pallet wood I had in various piles on the floor. Here is what my workspace looked like while I was constructing the rack:
Because of the limited space, I didn’t want to use the miter saw in this project. This past summer I bought a Stanley FatMax cross-cut hand saw, the perfect solution in this project:
The brownish-red coloring on the tip of the blade is reflective of the camera’s flash and dungeon lighting. Even after all the cutting, the blade is shiny and pitch-black from tip to handle. You can see how aggressive the teeth are on this saw. I’m sure I could prune trees with it. If you are in need of an aggressive saw that will cut straight and easy through any kind of wood, this would be a good recommendation.
Here is the finished lumber rack, along with close-ups of the arms and braces. It’s in a good location. The support posts ruin the space for much of anything other than storage:
I came up with specific dimensions for this project, like the length of the arms are 16” and the braces are all patterned after the first one installed. Different thicknesses and even kinds of wood were used, so I compensated as required:
And here is the rack loaded with the wood I had piled on the floor:
Getting the lumber off the floor and pushing some things to the sides, you can see I have a lot more space to work with now. This is only the start. Once I get the bicycle shop end organized, the dungeon will be a multi-purpose shop for all my interests and needs:
I spent a lot more time in making this rack than I had planned for. The constant search for materials and tools needed always eats up a lot of time. Once I found everything, it was a matter of finding the right dimensions from the wood pile, measuring what I needed, clamping the stock to the top of the Power Mate and sawing as straight as possible, then dry fitting with two levels before tacking with the nail gun. Once tacked, I drilled pilot holes and fastened with the appropriate screws. Leveling added extra time and effort because most of the time I had to drill the minimum amount of holes to allow alignment, fasten, then drill the rest and finish fastening. Unfortunately, I only have one portable drill heavy enough for this kind of work, so I had to switch between drill and screw bit every time. The Kobalt Speedbit set was some help, but they are so flimsy I ended up breaking the bit midway into the project, and the quick-change unit added so much length to the business end that it made it difficult to get in between the wall studs. I eventually gave up on the system and resorted to changing bits as needed. My next new tool purchase will be for another portable drill.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Upstate NY USA