So last night I headed out to a rural homestead about 40 minutes away to look at a table saw selling for $25.00. It looked well used in the pictures supplied on Craigslist. My hope was that it wasn’t more beat than it looked.
The Delta 36-510 Motorized Bench Saw ran fine, but it had been stored in a garage for a couple of years and it looked like it was pistol whipped into getting work done. Without question it was going to need a breakdown, cleaning and lubing before I could use it.
The only part it was missing, the blade lowering/raising wheel, I could do without. A wooden replacement is an easy fix. I suppose you could count in the bolt that mounts the blade guard/riving knife/anti-kickback pawls assembly. The flimsy device looks to be useless. Since it needs to be disassembled and the surface rust removed, I am putting it aside for a later date.
I spent most of the day disassembling and cleaning the dirty saw. The top was sanded wet with 600 grit sandpaper. Bearing surfaces and moving threaded parts were lubricated with paste wax. Flat washers and/or locking washers were added or replaced originals as felt it was as needed.
I replaced the sawdust-caked blade with one of my hardly used Skil saw spares.
Hours later, I fired it up without the blade. The motor turns over instantly without a noticeably large amperage load. Afterward I moved the saw to the upstairs back porch, I waxed the top and fence rails.
Here is a picture of the finished refurb. I forgot to take a starting picture. I should have. A big difference between then and now.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA