Yesterday started out wet, as was the day before it, but the temperature was high enough I could be comfortable outdoors in a short sleeve shirt. I decided to move a couple of portable benches upstairs on the enclosed back porch to see if I could get more done on the table saw base. At that point, all I had together was the base framing, which comprised of four 2” x 4” pieces half-lap joined, glued and screwed together. I decided on building the framing longitudinally because I wanted strength with some flex. The reason for this is the dungeon floor is irregular and not even close to being flat in some areas. I planned on building a heavy base for its size to allow levelers to flex the base as needed. Because the shorter 1” x 6” boards used for the apron are butt joined to the longer sides, I also glued them as well as used screws. The longer sides are only screwed together.
The second picture shows the arrangement of the casters and how the levelers come into play because of the aprons. I didn’t need to use locking casters because once the saw is wheeled to where I want it, the levelers will be engaged. It wasn’t my intention to limit the swivel movement of the rotating casters, but now that I have given it some thought it’s probably for the best. The base doesn’t need to parallel park on a dime.
The next step is to build the framing for the top melamine board that the saw will be bolted to. Once done, I can measure what height I have created between the base and top constructions to determine what measurement is needed for the vertical corner framing. Target total height for the base is 34”, perfect for my small 5’ 6” frame.
With a weekend coming up, I should have the base completed by Sunday. The hold-up is not construction time. This project is being designed as I build it. Sometimes, it takes hours or days of research weighed against what I have for tools I can use and what I believe my skill level can make happen. Slow, frustrating at times, this is what I enjoy most about building things from scratch.