Sorry it took me so long but it has been a busy week or so.
For those who are keeping track still no turkey dinner they apparently are smarter then they appear.
Here is how the log sat when I returned to finish it last night.
I decided to turn the log over as the first side had a couple of knots and I thought the other side may yield better lumber. I like to try and cut it as wide as the log will allow as you can always cut a board smaller but glue ups are time consuming when building a project.
The first thing I did was remove the flare at the log end as it was hampering the guide as I rolled by.
One side done then roll the log (well cant now)
Then the other. That gave me a nice squared up walnut cant. It was now time to make a choice, the log had not yielded the crotch I thought it might (you really never know to you crack it open) so I compared all 4 sides and decided which side would produce the best lumber. I tried this way first but it looked to me that I would end up with wide boards with a couple of knots in places that would effect the practical use of the lumber.
So I ended up going at it from this angle.
And I just keep going until I get the the last board.
The boards end up narrower but the quality is higher since the knots end up at the boards edge and can be removed in the next step.
Edging always a pain but it makes good square lumber.
So what I ended up with is roughly a 150 bdft of walnut. I didn’t get the figured walnut I hoped for but several of the boards are 16” wide and I didn’t hit any metal with the doublesharp so that is a good day.
Here is the stacked walnut
Here is a shot of the one of the boards.
And a final close up
All in all not a bad log. It will air dry for a while and then go into one of my kilns, after that I have no clue but it will make good walnut lumber for some project.
I hope you all enjoyed the “Cliff Hanger Walnut Adventure”