LumberJocks

Spalted Maple Sofa Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by superstretch updated 1073 days ago 4 parts 5274 reads 13 comments total

Part 1: Planning

1077 days ago by superstretch | 2 comments »

Back in June, a teacher friend of mine was looking to buy a sofa table from Target or some nonsense like that. Since she knew of my new-found hobby, she asked what I could do, and I replied “anything within reason”. Little did I know that that would be my most challenging (pathetically so) project to date. I started by getting a rough idea of what the size needed to be and then spent almost a week getting her to decide on a type of wood. I was secretly hoping for walnut (I̵...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Milling and Gluing

1077 days ago by superstretch | 1 comment »

TopThe spalted maple I had was about 5/4 rough. I would have loved to shave off a nice 3/8” or so to get them down to 3/4”, but my band saw was no where near up for the task. Off to the planer we go (after being ripped to width and jointed). LegsSince the boards I had were about 5/4, I couldn’t make the legs the desired 1.5” thick without gluing some together. Since the spalting and grain patterns were so varied, gluing two pieces together looked pretty gross....

Read this entry »


Part 3: Cutting to size

1074 days ago by superstretch | 5 comments »

TopOnce I had the top glued up, I realized I really should have used some biscuits to align everything. I had some serious steps between the boards and some very visible glue lines. I made a quick cross cut sled (in about 5 minutes) and was able to trim the ends of the top. I double checked with both a combo square and my framers square and both were dead on 90s. I really needed to sand the tabletop down. The vigorous scraping had left the top surface feeling very uneven. My brothe...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Assembly and Finish

1073 days ago by superstretch | 5 comments »

Once I had all the pieces in final form, it was time to sand everything down and assemble. Everything was sanded down to 220. Bottom AssemblyFirst, the skirt and leg pieces. Since the corner brackets I ordered from Rockler called for 1 3/4” square legs, and I had 1 1/2” square, I had to make my own corner brackets. That was simple enough, but gluing up was a challenge. I chamfered the top 3” on the inside corner of each leg. That allowed a lag bolt to be screwed in and th...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase