LumberJocks

Spalted Maple Sofa Table #3: Cutting to size

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by superstretch posted 09-19-2011 05:59 PM 1232 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Milling and Gluing Part 3 of Spalted Maple Sofa Table series Part 4: Assembly and Finish »

Top
Once I had the top glued up, I realized I really should have used some biscuits to align everything. I had some serious steps between the boards and some very visible glue lines.

I made a quick cross cut sled (in about 5 minutes) and was able to trim the ends of the top. I double checked with both a combo square and my framers square and both were dead on 90s.

I really needed to sand the tabletop down. The vigorous scraping had left the top surface feeling very uneven. My brother offered his thickness sander and I took him up on it. Unfortunately, that left me with a bigger problem—major burn marks. Nothing a nice scraper couldn’t fix.

Legs
The legs needed to be trimmed to width, so they went through the table saw and then planer.

After that, they needed to be thicknessed to 1.5” (when the 1/4” walnut centered), trimmed to length, and tapered.

-- Dan, Rochester, NY



5 comments so far

View JamesVavra's profile

JamesVavra

286 posts in 1971 days


#1 posted 09-19-2011 07:19 PM

Looking nice.

I’ve found that my drum sander tends to make those burn marks when the belt is not wrapped tightly enough and overlaps itself just tiny little bit. It makes it sand just a bit deeper at that spot, and the extra friction heats it up enough to burn. Shutting it off and adjusting the belt back to the correct position generally helps, but once it’s slipped like that it tends to keep going back to the wrong position over and over..

James

View superstretch's profile

superstretch

1504 posts in 1348 days


#2 posted 09-19-2011 07:23 PM

That was my guess too. Thankfully, everything worked out after some more scraping

-- Dan, Rochester, NY

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

1590 posts in 1642 days


#3 posted 09-19-2011 10:42 PM

Looking good. The scraper was a good solution to the burning. I converted my drumsanders to hook and loop and no longer have any burning.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

View JamesVavra's profile

JamesVavra

286 posts in 1971 days


#4 posted 09-19-2011 11:47 PM

@SASmith – that’s a fantastic idea. I just got a box of like 16 non-velcro belts though, so I will have to wait just a bit.

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

1590 posts in 1642 days


#5 posted 09-20-2011 01:56 AM

@james The hook backed paper is more expensive but will pay for itself with a much longer life.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase