In September, I started coming up with ideas for my wife’s Christmas present. The short of it is—I haven’t finished it yet. Fortunately, it was a minor part of all that I was getting/making her, so she didn’t go without this Christmas.
Part of my problem is that I’m still a greenhorn and purpleheart is a jerk to work with. Tearout, checking, and pitting is something I’ve had to deal with non-stop. For the past two weeks, my shop (no heating) has been below 0.
You can see that I’ve engineered this myself. I started using Sketchup the moment it was released years ago, so I’m pretty in tune with it. I chose purpleheart for the construction and ended up putting a curly maple insert in the lid. I have all the (plexi)glass cut and installed except for one side.
Here I have the right 2 sides done and the one on the left dry fitted. My plan was to use tongue+groove on this whole thing, but I doubt that it will stay rigid. I might need some glue blocks in the corners.
Since then: Finished the lid, finished the back
Todo: cut the groove in the middle section for the box on top and the sides/back below, cut the groove in the bottom for the sides/back, Drill a hole through the middle piece to have an inverted lazy susan for spinning necklaces around, sand, assemble, finish.
Thanks for taking a look. As I look back, I can already see a hundred things I’d do differently—not use PH, not use tongue+groove, not build something on such a small scale with more precision than my patience allots..
-- Dan, Rochester, NY