I won a bid on eBay for a Stanley 71 for $19.02 plus shipping. I was very pleased for the chance to own such a fine plane.
Here is the picture that was posted on eBay.
And here is a bit of a break down when I received it.
After break down. Sorry no pictures of the process. I wiped everything down with acetone and a wire brush. I took my roto tool and got the rust out of all the nooks and cracks. The original finish was only 60 percent there. I am wanting a good clean user thus I painted it with metallic metal paint. Usually I leave most of my planes as is and just oil them , not this time. I scraped the knobs and then teak oiled them. I used amber shellac with an airbrush to apply about 5 coats. Then sharpened the cutter and reassembled. The plane is a type 6 from 1909 to 1915.I wanted the paint to completely cover the base all the way to the edges. So the bottom got shot to. I will take some wet or dry 400 and remove it from the sole after a few days of the paint curing. A few pictures.
Sorry for the clipped pictures. I had to use photo bucket.
-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com