what i've been doing #5: joinery starts

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave posted 01-04-2011 04:21 AM 1135 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: more bench Part 5 of what i've been doing series Part 6: bow-ties »

Today I needed to join the bench legs together. I do not own a biscuit joiner and needed a method of centering my bench legs. So I went to a big box store and bought the only dowel jig they had. It is a General dowel jig. I do no recommend this jig for it has to much play in it.

I had to elongate the holes to get the legs to match up. I was not a happy camper. It still managed to work out. I have the dowels so far apart because i intend to place a bowtie in the middle, so I did not want to have the dowels in the way.

The leg glue up went fairly well. All but the cold weather.

Now the dovetails for the rails begins.

Chopping on this sapele makes me nervous because it is very brittle.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are."

1 comment so far

View stefang's profile


15881 posts in 3390 days

#1 posted 01-04-2011 07:09 PM

I have never had much luck with dowel jigs, whether they were shopmade or purchased. I prefer to drill the first holes and use the center point inserts to mark the mating holes. Slower, but always accurate and ok for a non-pro.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics