I know it has been a while but I am finally back to my table build.
The top of the table has 20 butterflies mortised into the top. In the original piece, these went all the way through the top and may have actually helped to hold the top together, but it is more likely that they were probably just decorative, as Barnsley has used them in several pieces. My friends all warned me that it would be much better to just rout a quarter inch deep or so, as going through is a lot more work.
Well, the original went all the way through and I think that is the correct thing to do.
So there you go then!
If you recall, my friend had made me an aluminum template on a cnc and I finally got to use it. After layout and clamping, I first drilled what I could before I started routing. Sorry that the photo is washed out as the aluminum did weird things to the photo. If you look into the window reflections you can see the owner of the table (Joy) doing the photography.
Three holes into each mortise removed quite a bit of waste.
A template guide on my router made quick work of the remaining excavation down to a one inch depth.
The router of course left round corners in the mortise and they needed to be chiseled out by hand.
The top side of the first mortise is finished and then repeated on the remaining nineteen mortises.
Flipping the table shows the bottom of the table top. I did get some tearout from the drill, but the router eventually took care of that.
Routing from the bottom with a pilot bit duplicated the mortise opening on the top side.
After again chiseling out the corners, the mortises are complete. I flipped it and clamped it to the side of my bench for the next operation.
Next, making and gluing three piece butterflies.