I was finally ready to glue up the frame. It happened that my friends Terry and Kris came over and were there for the glue up. The joints really can’t be clamped easily, but the 3/8” pegs and the offset in the draw bored holes pulled it together. I whittled a oak spindle down to about 7/16” in diameter and then drove it through a steel plate that was drilled at exactly 3/8”. I forgot to take a picture of the dowel making, but will include one later.
After applying glue, we used the draw pins to pull the joints together, inserted the dowels, and pounded them through with a hammer. The joints pulled together very nicely. While the joints were not clamped, we did use bar clamps to hold the assembly flat to the bench.
The dowels were then sawn close to the frame, and finished up with a chisel.
All but the final scraping before finishing is complete. I am going to defer that until the entire table is ready to finish.
This pair of joints took much longer than I expected. I think I would be the slowest timberframer ever and if I had farm animals, they would wait a long time for shelter if I had to do many of these joints.
Next is fitting the legs into the frame.