Barnsley Reproduction Build #9: Mortises are finally finished

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by stevo_wis posted 12-13-2014 09:23 PM 1502 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Still chopping, here is what I am building Part 9 of Barnsley Reproduction Build series Part 10: Straight Tenons Finished »

The diagonal mortises were much more work than I expected. That plus a busy work schedule and holiday made for slow going. It took a very long time to chisel out the sharp points of the mortise and the hard oak was tough on my chisels. While the guide I made worked pretty well for the finally trimming, I found that it helped to use a small bit and drill out the four corners freehand to save a quite a bit of chopping. My drill went outside my layout line in the photo, but this will be covered by the tenon’s shoulder so it is fine.

I also found that a small wooden tenon was helpful to test to make sure that all the waste was cleared and the the mortise walls were flat.

I still need to cut mortises for buttons and for the top of the legs to fit into, but next I will cut the tenons.

-- Stevo

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics