LumberJocks

SHOP IMPROVEMENTS

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by stefang updated 05-25-2014 04:54 PM 8 parts 12891 reads 245 comments total

Part 1: A NEW PLANE TILL AND AND A NEW BENCH

09-07-2013 04:00 PM by stefang | 37 comments »

BackgroundAfter I bought my new big bandsaw a couple of years ago I found that my shop was too crowded and not functioning the way it should. There was no place to assemble larger projects and I had no workplace for my new interest in marquetry work or storage for all the related tools and veneers. My shop is so small that my options are pretty limited with regard to the placement of my machines, benches, etc. It seemed a hopeless task to figure out a better set-up, but I finally did a co...

Read this entry »


Part 2: THE BENCH BASE GLUED UP

09-09-2013 06:59 PM by stefang | 25 comments »

Glue up timeI was able to get my bench base into its new home today and did the final gluing which was just the stretchers on the back at the bottom which are mortise and tenon joints and the top rails which are bridle joints. After I glued in the stretchers on the back, I was going to glue in the top rails at the same time. I put the back rail in place and to my amazement the bridle joints didn’t line up (imagine me with a stupid expression on my face, ok, I know that isn’t so...

Read this entry »


Part 3: THE AGONY & THE ECSTASY - GLUING UP MY BENCH TOP

09-11-2013 03:58 PM by stefang | 14 comments »

Glue-up preparationsI decided to glue up 6 boards at a time for my bench top instead of 4 like I first planned. Glue-ups aren’t a lot of fun and I want to get it done as quickly as possible while still leaving the glue-ups in clamps overnight. I will have to do this 4 times. Having fun planingFirst I had to plane the top rails down flush to the top of the legs as pictured below, then I got the wood into the shop. Here’s the top rails finished and the wood I picked (fir). ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Working On My New Bench Top

09-16-2013 04:48 PM by stefang | 34 comments »

Just a little update on my bench build. Work todateThis shows the Irwin clamps I was able to use while gluing up the three individual sections of my bench top one at a time. Here I am joining all the sections together for the last gluing. My Irwin clamps weren’t long enough to reach the full 26” final width of the top. I only had 7 long clamps, but that worked out fine luckily. Three under and four on top. As you can see, I had to put the clamp handles against the wall o...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Progress Update on my Bench Build

11-05-2013 09:54 AM by stefang | 40 comments »

My last post on this project was in mid Sept. before we left for Sweden. We got home in the first days of October and I took a week to rest up after the long drive. Then I got a bad cold and it has kept me out of the shop until late last week. I still have it, but I’m at least able to work a couple of hours a day now. WORKING ON THE TOPYou might recall that I wanted to hand plane the fir top, and that I first had to get rid of the larger knots before planing. In my last blog I showed...

Read this entry »


Part 6: A LICK OF PAINT AND A DASH OF DANISH

11-17-2013 04:10 PM by stefang | 33 comments »

Haven’t had much time in the shop lately, but I did get my bench finished finally and I painted here and there as part of my shop improvement campaign. I am not nearly done, but I am taking a little at a time. With Christmas around the corner I have get back to doing some projects. My ambition level is fairly low this year as I am planning to build a Chevalet and it’s all I can think about right now. Here are some before and after pics of what I’ve been up to this week. I...

Read this entry »


Part 7: ADDING A WATER SUPPLY TO MY SHOP

12-21-2013 03:31 PM by stefang | 43 comments »

Hello everybody. This isn’t a very exciting post (they never really are), but I was looking for a woodworking excuse to WISH ALL MY LJ FRIENDS AND THEIR FAMILIES A VERY JOYOUS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Now about that water supplySince buying my water cooled Tomek sharpening machine, beginning to use hot hide glue, and starting up with marquetry I find myself in need of copious amounts of water. I am also kind of tired of carrying it out to the shop in milk cartons, pitchers, etc. So ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: FINDING A PARKING PLACE FOR MY CHEVY

05-25-2014 04:54 PM by stefang | 19 comments »

The problemWhen I decided to build a Chevalet for marquetry work I honestly didn’t think I would be able to find a place for it in my shop. It already felt quite crowded in there. Whenever I sweep the floor every storage cabinet, and machine tool has to be moved to get the job done. That’s why all of my tools and cabinets are on wheels, even my drill press. I decided to go ahead and build a Chevalet anyway hoping that I could dream up a solution in order to create a place for it. ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase