I tried to test out the clock yesterday in spite of having a bad glue-up on my pendulum bearing ring. It is supposed to be on the same plane as the pendulum rod, but the clamp I used to glue it up pulled it askew. I tried it out anyway and it oscillated back and for and in circles all at the same time. No big deal, as it was easy to fix but another 24hours for glue to dry. Here is the new one glued up. Never mind the blood, it’s generic. see below
Since the pendulum wouldn’t work I decided to just let the weight run the clock without the escapement pallet and pendulum to keep it running slow. I just wanted to see how smooth the gears ran. Everything ran fine until…..............the cord fastening pin broke through the thin wall of the weight and it came tumbling down together with a zillion tiny lead balls. This in turn pulled the drive train wheels out of kilter since the arbor end caps were too loose. The weight hit the floor and split and a few things went flying. Here is the broken weight and broken teeth on the minute wheel and escapement wheel pinions. see below
I only have myself to thank for all these problems. The weight I made clearly wasn’t up to the job and the arbor covers which I made from Linden wood were too soft and they didn’t fit tight enough to keep the wheels aligned. Despite all the problems a lot of stuff did work well. The wheels ran smoothly before the accident and rewinding the clock was easy and smooth.
I ran out to the shop afterward and cut out the new pinions and spacers to replace the broken one.
A new weight was needed. The idea was to drill out a tube from solid wood. A lot of work that didn’t turn out well. A Forstner bit was used for the job and I knew beforehand that there would be a great risk of it going crooked. A spade bit would have been preferable, but I didn’t have one big enough. Also, the piece of timber wasn’t large enough to allow for much variation, and sure enough it came out a side wall about 3/4 of the way in. A quick fix was needed so two pieces were hollowed out on one side and then the two were glued together. I plan to make a better one later, but for now I just want to get the clock running as I can’t stand any more suspense!
There won’t be time to do more before Friday as tomorrow is our shopping day. My plan is to make some better arbor caps and finish the weight and then I should be able to try out the clock again.
When I came in with the repaired pendulum, I gave it a swing to see if it ran smooth and just for fun I timed how long it would oscillate. Believe it or not, it kept swinging for a full 30 minutes, albeit with an ever decreasing arc, but even so I thought it was pretty amazing. So with such great balance and friction free running I’m not expecting any problems with it. see below
Many setbacks, but I really don’t mind because the experience will allow me to avoid some future problems.
Thanks for reading. Sorry to disappoint everyone.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.