Today was used for gluing different parts up, namely; the main frame, the winding wheel, various wheel spacers and related pinions onto the wheels (gears) plus the coopered main weight and counter weight/handle. I also polished all the arbors (axles). I also ran the winding wheel on my disk sander jig to first get the inside wheels round and then again after gluing all 5 disks together to get the outside round and balanced.
It was a bit of a puzzle to figure out which spacers went where as the are different combinations and thicknesses and all the names are in German. There is a video which shows the construction on youtube, but I don’t get wifi in my shop, so it was no use. In addition there are some washers, which I didn’t have.
I glued everything up in place mounted on the main frame and the arbors. It seems to be coming together ok except I have one little problem with the height of the hour face wheel which seems slightly two high by about 2 or 3mm, but that could be due to a missing washer somewhere or maybe I a accidentally used too thick wood on the hubcap on the back of the winding wheel which would in turn raise the face wheel a little. Either way not to big a problem and should be easy to fix.
Here’s a photo of the temporary assembly. I will be demounting it and then reassembling it on Monday and also installing the necessary washers. I plan to make a series of photos to show the assembly. Paul asked for a time lapse film on this, but I’m unprepared for that and I don’t want to slow the project down to get it set up.
Thanks for reading!
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.