A Wonderful day
I was going to begin the task of converting my 6mm thick ply to 6.5mm. My plan was to sand down the 6mm enough so that I could add a veneer to bring it up to 6.5mm. The first thing I did though was to use my digital calipers to measure the actual thickness, and lo and behold it was exactly 6.5mm. What a relief! It made me very happy.
I made the 6.5mm work pieces for the escapement gear,, the minute gear and the idler gear and some other pieces. The pattern for the fork like thing is the piece that runs on the escapement gear and it is attached at the upper end of the pendulum. It alternately locks and releases the escapement gear at each swing of the pendulum. see below
The escapement gear (the smallest one) is the gear which is alternatively locked and released with each swing of the pendulum to control the speed of the clock.
The minute gear regulates the movement of the clock dial as far as I know, but I won’t be sure of that until I have the clock assembled and running. Remember, the hour hand is stationary while the whole dial moves on this clock.
The idler gear
Another gear I’m not sure about regarding it’s purpose or name, but as far as I know it has nothing to do with the time, but is placed there to transfer power between other time keeping gears. So it is a kind of assistant to the essential gears and helps to keep the placement of the gears compact.
Just my take on it so far. I will get back to you on these gears as soon as I can after I have actually learned enough about them, meanwhile if any of you have a more accurate description please don’t hesitate to comment on it. see below
I changed a couple of things today. Instead of cutting and leaving a thin line to file off on each gear tooth, I just cut right to finished size. I was feeling more confident with my cutting after getting some practice with the first cuttings. It worked out well except for the escapement gear. I will have to recut that one because I got some chipping on the gear tooth tips and the back on a few teeth too. For that reason I put a zero clearance auxiliary table onto my scroll saw. It’s not 100% zero clearance, but close enough to solve the problem. The others gears came out perfect (my perfect).
Unfortunately I didn’t have time to cut the other items in the first photo. Believe it or not I have used only one blade for every thing I have cut for this project so far. A #5 Nicqua reverse tooth blade. This one must have super strength or something and it’s still cutting very smooth to boot!
Thanks for joining in the fun.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.