I didn’t get much done today as this is our shopping day. I did manage to get the hinges installed on the door frames though.
Yesterday after taking the door frames out of the clamps after the glue-up I needed to increase the frame thickness on the back of the frame to allow long enough hinge screws and also to somewhat reinforce the hinge area. This was done with simple wooden blocks glued and screwed to the frame. see below
Today wiith the reinforcements dry I could take the doors out to the shed to see if they would fit, and what do know, they did!
So on to the hinge installation. The first thing I did was to carefully mark out the locations with a pencil line from the actual hinges, then I used a knife cut just inside those lines to outline the area to be chiseled out. Here is the mortise after chiseling and the hinge screwed in place. See below
Most of you have probably installed more hinges than I will ever see, but here’s a little trick for those who might have struggled with hinge installations. The most difficult part is usually getting the holes centered. If you don’t, the hinge will not stay where it is supposed to or the screw will not seat properly into counter sink in the hinge blade. I use a countersink on my drill. You need one wide enough to self-center itself in the hinge blade hole. Just give it a spin and you have a nice little centered depression to guide your drill bit. see below
Here are the doors with all four hinges installed. Now I just have to do the mortises on the shed, yet another opportunity to botch the job!
I’m looking forward to getting a lot done tomorrow if the weather permits, so I hope I will be almost finished with the shed by day’s end and almost certainly finished by Saturday.
Thanks for following with!
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.