This build is taking a lot longer to finish than it was supposed to. I had figured to be finished with it at the end of January, but I ran into some aches and pains, so I haven’t been in the shop as much as I would have liked. I have been working on the Chevy on a hit and miss basis though, mostly miss.
I have been using Paul’s aka Shipwright Sketchup drawing of his own design. The drawings include dimensions, but I can’t see them too well so I used the tape tool to measure the pieces as I went. I kept my computer in the shop for that, but not the best environment for a computer. I just got the lenses on both my eyes replaced a couple of years ago, but I’ve had to have laser treatment for my left eye again already and I’m going in to get the right eye done next week. I might wind up being the world’s first blind marqueterian!
I did my usual mis-measuring tricks and so had to do some recovery work, but all in all the project has been going pretty well, thanks to Paul’s very excellent drawings. Today I installed the clamp assembly including the chain. I still have to glue the clamp arm piece into the seat top. Everything works perfect, so I’m pretty happy right now. The next thing to tackle is the saw frame and the blade holders. After that I plan to take the main pieces apart for a thorough sanding and then a stain job. I plan to use aniline dye on that. I just hope it will turn out ok as it is pretty hard maple and I understand from reading that maple is hard to stain. Here’s a couple of photos to show you my progress to date.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.