Haven’t had much time in the shop lately, but I did get my bench finished finally and I painted here and there as part of my shop improvement campaign. I am not nearly done, but I am taking a little at a time. With Christmas around the corner I have get back to doing some projects. My ambition level is fairly low this year as I am planning to build a Chevalet and it’s all I can think about right now.
Here are some before and after pics of what I’ve been up to this week. I chose the color green for two reasons; firstly, I had some other shop pieces in that color and secondly, most of my machine tools are painted green and/or yellow. I will be following up with some yellow stuff on the next round.
My new all purpose bench in the raw. Originally I designed this bench so a chest of drawers would slide under on the right side and I could sit with my legs underneath on the left side. Photo 1 is a better shot of the construction. What I didn’t expect was that this construction would be so solid. I am amazed how stable it is, even though it was just luck on my part, and therefore I would recommend this design to anyone building a bench for planing or whatever.
As you can see, the chest of drawers in now in place and I two coats of Danish oil on it with a 3rd coat yet to come. I will be storing my marquetry stuff in the chest.
I always hated those drawer handles with the dark oak cabinet, but I think they look a lot better now with the green paint. Whoops! I forgot to take away the masking tape and just now discovered it.
I’m not sure what improvements are next. I do want better storage solutions, so that will probably come first with more painting afterward.
Thanks for reading!
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.