The yellow was added to the whiskers, eyebrows and legs. I still have some yellow to do on some of the toes.The tongue is also inserted, but not quite finished. The top photo is from my last blog for comparison with the today’s photo at the bottom so you can get a feel for whats been done. There is still a lot of work to go, so if the picture looks a little strange in places that is probably why.
The obvious things are the eyes, mouth, muzzle, teeth, ears etc. I’m still not sure how much more detail I want besides the aforementioned work. I will just have to see what happens when I get to point of quitting or going further.
SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT USING THIS METHOD
I have enjoyed working with the thick wood, which is not customary in traditional marquetry. There may or may not be some advantages to working this way.
I found the thick stock easy to cut on my scrollsaw. I didn’t really need a design pattern for the work, and even though I started with one, I quirky ditched it in favor of the original dragon picture. This allowed me to alter the design and adapt the detail level as I progressed, to what I could realistically achieve with my scrollsaw. My attached cutting patten which was produced while cutting out the design allowed me to do this because the pattern gave me an exact copy of the part cut out which could be traced to the infill pieces.
It is very easy to replace or change pieces even after the ‘bad’ piece has been glued in or to add details by cutting into the already glued infill pieces such as I have done with the yellow overlay on the black.
In my opinion, the main disadvantage to this method is that it would be difficult to get hold of many different types and color of woods compared to purchasing veneers. The woods I’m using now were purchased a couple of years ago and I haven’t seen much available since then, but I can order veneers anytime. Another problem is that tiny detail like we have seen in many of Paul’s (Shipwright) work is not possible with the much thicker blades that are necessary to cut thicker stock. This puts quit limit on the level of detail possible. Of course one can choose to do less detailed projects and still get a good outcome as long as it is good to look at.
WAS THIS PROJECT DIFFICULT?
‘Difficult’ is not a very objective word. I would say that most anyone who is familiar with scroll sawing can do this work. It’s much more about the method than the actual cutting skill. I’ve been scrolling for many years now, but not very much, and truth be told I’m not that good at it. I have gotten a lot better at it during this project though.
I believe that the main criteria for success using this method is just to take whatever time is necessary to do the cutting accurately. This means fast for those who already have solid scrolling skills and slow for those like me. I purposely did not impose a deadline for myself on this project, and I’m glad I didn’t because It’s been much more enjoyable that way, I would rather do one project that I’m satisfied with than three that I’m not!
THE BOTTOM LINE
This project has been fun even with the uncertainty of a successful outcome or maybe because of it. Not having a deadline has relieved me of any stress to get it done quickly and I have learned a few things. I may wind up doing regular marquetry in the end, but it’s always good to cast your net wide for a good catch.
Please let me know if the yellow looks ok. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence