Yesterday’s work turned out better than my first try. What I didn’t say in yesterday’s blog was that I accidentally attached my pattern, not to the background piece as I should have done, but instead to the thin taped on piece that I detach and use to trace those parts onto the infill pieces for cutting. Since it was impossible to get the pattern (a new copy) back into the right position there was no way I could continue with that workpiece. No harm done as I wasn’t too happy with it anyway.
I cut a new 3/8” thick background piece and a new veneer backing for my marking pattern at 1/16”. This piece was thicker and more stable than the last one. This time I attached the original artwork of the dragon as my pattern onto the background piece. I found the outline pattern to be a little confusing, which made it easy to make cutting errors.
I started late so I only had time to mark and cut one infill piece. it is part of the main body and it is the largest piece in this project. I also cut some of the other non-adjacent body parts out. They show up in black as I photographed them on top of our cast iron oven. The infilled part is Ash instead of black as in the original design.
As you can see this one turned out perfect. I am hoping this trend will continue tomorrow. Now I’m starting to enjoy this challenge.
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence