Today was a total success! I proved that my wooden plugs just weren’t good enough! Now to be fair I have gotten some good advice on how to make my plugs from Yuri, but apropos to JimA1’s latest blog on advice, I choose to ignore it and I have been duly rewarded with a new learning point, Aka disaster.
I was determined to continue today and I felt a little uncertain about Yuris method and the time it would take for me to experiment with it, so I continued with the wooden plugs. I reckoned that I would use his method on my next ball.
The wood plugs stayed tight in the first two holes, but I suspect they didn’t give uniform support to the 4 inner layers. This resulted in a breakout between #2 and #3 holes at level three and four where they intersect. The damage is too great for any kind of fix.
Now I have to turn a new ball and drill the 20 secondary holes I will need before I begin turning the inner balls again. That is ok, because I had planned some tactical changes in the way I will do that ball and of course I plan to use Yuri’s plugs. Below are some photos to show what I did today.
Here is some experimentation with making the plugs a new way (which failed of course). I have put the large diameter end of the plug at the tailstock end instead of the headstock end as before. This is so I can test it for fitting and remount it on the lathe to refine it if necessary, which I couldn’t do before with the plug the other way around.
Here the plug is being tested for fit and it needs some adjustment.
2nd test fit after a little more turning and it seems ok. Now hole #2 is ready to be plugged and the work on hole #3 can begin.
Hole #3 with the catastrophic result as explained above. If you look closely you can see where a section is broken out between the two main holes on layers 3 and 4.
So another chapter in this exciting turning melodrama comes to a close. It’s looking dark right now, but soon the light will shine through and you will be able to say “He did it!” (maybe).
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend. The links to this project blog are below.
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence