A progress update.
I haven’t been in the shop for a few weeks due to illness. Now I’m ok and back at it. As you might remember, I had been struggling with the bindings. these are willow branches that are split, planed down and joined with a specially cut joint (no glue or fasteners).
Well, I’m glad to report after working my way through about 10 of these and having failed 9 times, I finally learned it! I can now say that I can properly split branches and get 2 bands from 1 branch, plane them evenly and cut the joints properly. Personally I’m not too impressed with my learning ability, but I am relieved that I can now finish my project before I die of old age!
Today I managed to get 2 more bands made and installed. I also put a bevel on all the edges including the bottom inside and outside, likewise the top rim and handle ears. The critical part is the bottom as this can chip out when you set it down hard. This work took about 1-1/2 hours. I still have one band to go, but it was either to continue working or have dinner and I’m not known to miss a meal.Besides the remaining band, I have to make a handle, but unfortunately I’ve run out of wood for that, so I have to get some tomorrow. Below are photos of my progress so far. The first pic shows the binding joints which I am much too proud of.
I am wondering how all of you other participants are doing with your buckets and I hope no one is getting discouraged by my unplanned delays or having the kind of technical problems I’ve had. I hope to hear from you soon!
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence