Just a little update to let my fellow participants know that I’m still alive. I do apologize for the delay. I had some dental problems and among other things I finally had to get a tooth yanked out, so I haven’t been doing much lately. I got into the shop today for the first time in quite awhile. I finished perfecting the edge angles on the stave’s that weren’t quite right and I got all the dowels finished up and installed. I managed to drill one stave wrong and so I have to make a new one, but no big deal.
After making the dowels, I put them in a Jacobs chuck (drill chuck) mounted in the lathe to thin them out in the middle as I showed you in the last blog. The purpose is to allow some swelling room in the center of the dowels between the stave’s so the dowels won’t break when the bucket is filled with water. the chuck is a hand tightened one, so it went pretty fast, taking about 10 minutes for 50 dowels. I have some mini lathe tools, and I used the round nosed scraper from this set to make the cove in the middle of each dowel. They are only slightly longer than 3/4”, so it was a ‘tiny turning’ project. Here is a photo which shows the finished dowels. Didn’t really need the pic, but I hate blogs without photo’s!
I clamped the bucket together with the dowels and the bottom installed and everything looks good now. I just have to replace the one ruined stave, cut the stave’s to the same length (except the two long ones) and then I plan to do the bindings and the handle. I’m hoping to be finished by this coming Wednesday, and I will be blogging the work. I do expect some problems with the binding work, so It may take a little longer than I expect.
I hope all the other participants are at about the same point now, so we can have a fun finish to the project with everyone blogging their results or at least letting us know how they are getting along.
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence