Another short update to show the outside rounding. I managed to get half of the stave’s rounded on the outside today. Some pics below to show you the result.
The first picture below shows the ‘Lag’ or dados cut.
Here are some rounded in the photo below. I used the concave shaped template to first mark the curve on both ends and the to check my progress as I planed them. I used a spokeshave for this work as I felt it gave me better control. A regular hand plane would work well here also. The rounding work wasn’t difficult. It took about the same time as for the concave planing.
You see below the bottom with half of the stave’s assembled. Note that I numbered the stave’s in their mounting order. I did this because I still have some very small edge angle adjustments to do and I want to make sure the stave’s go back in the same order to insure my joints are correct. And a pic from the top.
You can see that the joints between the stave’s are pretty good now with this view of the outside shown below and the 2nd photo of the inside.
The stave’s aren’t all the same length around the top. This will be correct before final assembly. I was able to save the shavings from all the planing work so far as shown below. I swept into a pile and it wasn’t as much as I thought it would be.
I still have 7 stave’s to round on the outside and the dowel holes to drill before doing the binding work. I might not get a chance to work in the shop tomorrow, so I hope I can do this on Friday.
The work so far isn’t ‘masterly’, but it has been fun and I think the result will be nice if not wonderful. Thanks for reading.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.